Measure, Learn from, and Communicate Impact

We’re part of YPC because we believe in it and feel the impact in our own lives and in the lives of others. How do we measure and communicate this network-wide? How do we do this both through stories and through numbers?

I think we’re far from having the capacity to do this, but I’d like to capture it as a project of the Mission Circle, whose domain is about to what extent we’re truly living out our mission.

Understanding

Measurement is a site of potential harm. Data as control. Data instead of relationships and trust. Measurement process that’s extractive as opposed to regenerative. How might we measure, learn from, and communicate impact in a community-led, co-creative, comprehensive, equity-centered, well-capitalized, caring, and courageous way? We can do it!

Exploring

• Partner with an organization with this Own Our Impact competency
  • Consider how to measure each C in the 7Cs of Collective Impact

Resources

Video

Social Audits

Related Projects

New Resource

Impact Networks

We propose four basic components of network evaluation.

• Collaborative infrastructure
  • Network connectivity
  • Participant experience
  • Emergent activity

I would also add a fifth component: impact! They mention this a little, but I think it should have greater focus.

Details below with wording from the Impact Networks book.

Collaborative Infrastructure
How many members? Which groups are represented? What’s the growth and turnover per year? How many people attend the convenings? What’s the number of subscriptions to the newsletter? What are the participant characteristics? How does engagement vary across participants and where adjustments might be beneficial?

Network Connectivity
How well are relationships forming? Do a social network analysis to capture the degree to which participants have formed relationships with one another (communicating? coordinating? collaborating?).

Participant Experience
Do they feel a shared purpose and share a set of principles? Is there a broad cross-section of participants who are well-suited to address the network’s purpose and actively contribute to its development? Are they developing relationships of trust? Do they feel able to engage in and resolve conflicts with one another? Do the structures and agreements allow the network to stay responsive without being burdensome? Is there ample coordination, relevant information, resources to sustain its activities? Do participants feel they are receiving value from the time they are investing? Do they benefit personally and professionally as individuals and do their organizations benefit as well? See Network Participant Survey and Indicators of Network Health.

Emergent Activity
What coordinated work and projects are sparked? How do participants access to stay updated on network activities and opportunities to engage?

More Extensive Evaluation
What is the impact of projects? How have regional or epidemiological data changed?