Redoing Instagram Bio

I think we need to redo our Instagram Bio to make it more streamlined and accessible. We should provide a clearer image of who we are.

Our bio is currently:

Youth Power Coalition
Organizations across NYC unite to power youth-led collective impact to hear and share how young people define what real youth power looks like [www.youthpowercoalition.org]”

I think our new bio might look like:

Youth Power Coalition
The Youth Power Coalition is a youth-led collective impact group that hears and shares how young people define what real youth power is. Join as an Adult Ally or a Youth Member today! [insert membership link].”

1 Like

@saf, I fully support you gathering feedback to write an improved bio! I like how in your suggestion you invite people to join.

My input is that the bio needs to be consistent with our existing mission, vision, and aims statements as written out at www.youthpowercoalition.org.

Finally, I wouldn’t call us a collective impact group because to me, collective impact isn’t an adjective, it is both a process and an outcome. We power collective impact. We enable everyone to do collective impact.

1 Like

okay, so this is what i’m thinking:

1. "Youth Power Coalition

The Youth Power Coalition is a youth-led group that powers collective impact with collaborative youth leaders and adult allies to guarantee that the youth of New York City are equipped with the skills, resources, and community supports needed to thrive as happy, healthy, and impactful citizens of the world. We lead with love, build in public, own our impact, and embrace emergence, and act on principle.

Join YPC as a Youth Leader or an Adult Ally at [insert link]"

OR

1. "Youth Power Coalition

The Youth Power Coalition is a youth-led group that powers collective impact with collaborative youth leaders and adult allies to guarantee that the youth of New York City are equipped with the skills, resources, and community supports needed to thrive as happy, healthy, and impactful citizens of the world.

Lead with Love Build in Public Own OUR impact Embrace Emergence Act on Principle

Join YPC as a Youth Leader or an Adult Ally at [insert link]"

thoughts? feedback? preferences? if these two bios are okay, we should choose a vote between 1 or 2.

I think the content is right. More work needs to be done on making the language friendly, approachable, and simple. Use short sentences, for example. Remove extraneous words. We should write how we speak! Here’s a good tool I use to keep my language simple.

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

When I use the Hemingway Editor, I tend to aim for a 4th to 6th-grade reading level. One because as a youth-led group, we want to be accessible to, let’s say, 10-year-olds! Two, research has shown that people interpret simple language as more believable.

This isn’t the best article that I’ve found about simple language, but I think you’ll like it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/business-jargon-makes-people-think-youre-lying-study-says/

Tagging in @kellen @Carlee123 and @JackieM @jmckinney for their thoughts from a branding perspective.

@saf Would you like me to give the bio a shot? Or would that feel like over-stepping? If I do give it a shot, I’d obviously like feedback, too!

yes please!!! i am not understanding how to make it more streamlined but that’s just me. please try it!!!

Okay, so I had a brilliant idea. Basically, let’s draw from the first Instagram post so we keep consistent! I also added something to work the #YouthPower hashtag in.

Bringing youth leaders and adult allies together to power youth-led collective impact. Working together to equip ALL of our city’s young people to thrive. Elevating #YouthPower #YouthPowerCoalition

sounds amazing! i think it’s incredibly more clearer and concise.

should i add the bio? however, i don’t remember who to contact for the instagram account information.

I think it’s okay to wait for further feedback. Maybe post a link to this in Slack where we do more quick work? Hub is for slow work.

Idea! Let’s add one more hashtag! #YouthPowerMovement

Bringing youth leaders and adult allies together to power youth-led collective impact. Working together to equip ALL of our city’s young people to thrive. Elevating #YouthPower #YouthPowerCoalition #YouthPowerMovement

The reason for this is that YPC can’t do it alone. Even as a coalition there’s no way to encompass the whole of an entire Youth Power Movement. What do you think @saf?

1 Like

UPDATE: If we want our Instagram bio to match our Twitter bio, which has a 160 character limit, then we may need to do something like:

Bringing youth leaders and adult allies together to power youth-led collective impact. Working together to equip ALL to thrive. #YouthPower #YouthPowerCoalition

So, we need to remove ALL “of our city’s young people” from the second sentence and can choose between only #YouthPowerCoalition or #YouthPowerMovement.

1 Like

i like this idea, i think it streamlines our bio. when should we change the instagram bio, then?

i also really like the “#youthpowermovement”- it feels strong, and passionate. i think that’s great for us!

UPDATE: Bio has been updated! I’ve put this in the done column and closed it because we now have a list of comms platforms to update when our mission changes.