How do young people find internships?

One of the things I hear over and over again in the need for youth internships, specifically high school internships.

Here’s what I know so far:

And here are my questions:

• If you have/had a high school internship, could you share how you found your internship, what was the pay, and what your experience was like?
  • If you host high school interns, can you share what you do and how people can connect with you?
  • If you’re looking for high school internships, what are your questions?
1 Like

@Far-Pritte @SJames Perhaps you have thoughts to this post on high school internships given your work building platforms to put opportunities for young people all in the same place.

Hi @deborahchang, as I continue to build out Education: Unplugged to address some of these needs, here are a few tips I can share: What are some ways students can increase their odds of finding an internship they will love? (1) Get Experience: Students should make an effort to get experience that is related to the position they want by participating in relevant extracurricular activities, as well as display their interest and passion for the field. Participating in volunteer activities is also a way to augment classroom learning and show a real interest in a specific profession. (2) Resume: A resume should target the kind of position the student is looking for, including showcasing the skills and knowledge they have about the industry and information about school projects, extracurricular activities, and volunteering related to the field they’re interested in. (3) Networking: Ideal places to make connections include professional events geared toward a specific industry, as well as school-sponsored alumni activities. In addition, students can connect with graduates from their school on LinkedIn, as well as other professionals in their field, which will give them the opportunity to immerse themselves in a community of people who can give them leads on internship opportunities. And now with social media, students can use (4) Personal Branding: Students can differentiate themselves from other applicants by branding on social media sites and show expertise through Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook related to their industry of interest.

There are also dozens of websites that help students seeking pre-professional experience find the right fit. All it takes is a little Googling and knowing where you want to launch your experience.

I just noticed that internships is a key point in Teens Take Charge’s platform!

Guarantee all high school students quality, paid internship opportunities in the summer and during the school year. Hire a full-time work-based learning coordinator at every school whose duty will be to 1) match students with positions that align to their interests in school and 2) to support them in developing soft and hard skills that will set them up for success in those roles and beyond.

See the full platform here
https://www.teenstakecharge.com/campaign

@SJames @Far-Pritte @Carlee123 Check out this new platform listing internships and other opportunities for high school students:

https://scholarahead.com/