The Youth Summit Committee invites you to propose a workshop, resource fair presentation, performance, or art gallery submission for Youth Summit NYC 2022! It will be held in person onThursday, June 9, 2022 in NYC. We invite all youth organizing groups, youth leadership councils, and youth-adult partnership programs, which aim to elevate youth voices, to apply and contribute to the experience!
ABOUT THE YOUTH SUMMIT
Students and Educators for Equity (SEE) and Youth Restorative Justice (YRJ) aim to bring together a collective of student voices to highlight the effects of disproportionality on students, while providing best practices to address and dismantle systemic inequities. Through a youth-led summit, we elevate student perspectives in an effort to foster inclusive, humanizing, and critical learning environments for all members of our school communities.
The Summit will include youth-led workshops, a resource fair, a panel discussion, performances and an art gallery. We invite you to apply to be a youth presenter or performer! Please review the details below and apply today!
The purpose of the Youth Summit Workshops and Resource Fair is to provide collaborative, dialogic spaces to: The purpose of engaging youth artists in the summit is to provide a space to:
- illuminate the experience and perspectives of youth in our current socio-political state of education
- showcase groundbreaking youth-centered work that effectively addresses disproportionality
- highlight the power of restorative and transformative justice practices in building positive school cultures
- Share tools and strategies to support schools in meeting our mission 1. highlight groups that are working toward empowering and liberating youth and disrupting disproportionality through different forms of art
- allow youth visual artists to showcase their work in our virtual gallery
- allow youth performers to showcase their talents at through live/pre-recorded performances
Sample topics for workshops and performers may include but are NOT limited to:
◦ School Discipline ◦ Restorative Justice ◦ Youth Organizing Strategies/Campaigns
◦ School-to-Prison Pipeline ◦ Youth Agency/Youth Voice ◦ Culturally Responsive Education
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION by March 11 , 2022, at 11:59 PM
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to the Youth Summit NYC 2022 Steering Committee at YouthSummitNYC@gmail.com
Applications are limited to youth teams and youth-adult partnership teams
Carline and I met to discuss this! We decided to do a learning workshop as part of the leadership development circle!
“Learning” workshops are sessions designed to share a particular skill or support participants in deepening their understanding around a particular subject or concept. Examples include - “Introduction to _____”, “How to facilitate Circles for difficult topics”, “Examining the role of power & privilege in…”, etc.
We decided that we could do something about facilitation! See our 2022 Youth Summit NYC Application for our current ideas and our answer to the application questions.
Anyone else submitting something?