We’re switching to Discord from Slack!
- Slack is technically only available for people 16+ while Discord is for 13+
- Greater number of young people already use Discord so we’ll have increased engagement
- Discord has better tech accessibility because it works on more phones than Slack does
- Discord has better moderation tools because it’s built for large communities
Create Discord instance for Youth Power Coalition
Create channel organizational scheme
Create onboarding process to put people in the right channels
Announce switch in Slack
Change invite link on the automatic Member Interest Form email
Move Slack channel descriptions, bookmarks, and pinned messages over
Change admin account
… Make server messages come from admin account
… Change user profile name and picture
Set server rules
… Decide on Server Rules
… Post Server Rules
Attend first circle meeting of every new year to have a Discord onboarding
Create deeper Discord Policies and Procedures document
Update internal comms documentation
… Member Interest Form Email
… Internal Communication Platforms
Archive Slack channels
Ask collective voice to set up new Open Collective automation
… Create StartADAM channel for communication with collective voice team
… Update current collective voice automation regarding payment to Adult General Circle Coordinator
… Ask collective voice team to automatically post all transactions from collectives to a single channel and make the process lazy consent?
We’ll start moving people over in July and be officially switched a week after every circle meets for the first time in August/September 2023.
We’re here to help! Ask your questions by replying to this topic. Ask your fellow circle members for support. Check out Beginner’s Guide to Discord.
You can continue reading all the messages there. We’ll keep access to it for reference purposes.
All existing Slack users. Anyone who fills out the member interest form, is invited by a YPC member, or who attends a YPC event.
- Join the Youth Power Coalition Discord Server:
- Update your display name
- Introduce yourselves in #welcome-and-intros
- Advanced: How do I mute and disable notifications for specific channels? and How do I hide muted channels?