Creating and Managing Google Groups

For Organizers

What are Google Groups?

Google Groups are a way to email everyone in the group with a single email address and handle access to things like our Google Calendar. Go to groups.google.com to see what groups you’re a part of.

How Do We Use Google Groups?

Read the Google Groups section of Internal Communication Platforms.

How do we join an existing Google Group?

Ask the members of the google group to add you.

For Role Holders

How do I add someone to a Google Group?

Follow the directions at Add people to your group - Google Groups Help.

I need a Youth Power Coalition Google Group. How do I get one?

Contact internal comms! Explain what you’re hoping to accomplish with a google group.

For Internal Comms Admins

How do I create a Google Group?

All Youth Power Coalition google groups should be created by our admin@youthpowercoalition.org account

1. Sign into the admin@youthpowercoalition.org google account.

2. Follow create a group and choose group settings directions by Google

Write a group description that clearly explains who is in the google group and the google group’s purpose.

These are the default settings for circle-specific google groups. These settings allow anyone to email the group while keeping conversations private and allowing people to join a Google Group who don’t have a youthpowercoalition.org account.

• Who can search for group: Anyone on the web
  • Who can join group: Anyone on the web can ask
  • Who can view conversations: Group members
  • Who can post: Anyone on the web
  1. Set subscription settings to No email so that the admin account does not receive emails when messages are posted, else the admin account will get notified every time a message is sent to any google group!

2. Set up advanced settings. Recommended settings below.

• Who can attach files: Anyone on the web
  • Subject prefix: [Circle Name]
  • Who can manage members: Group members (this setting is best for small google groups, but large google groups should appoint special group managers instead like the organizers@ group)
  1. Share that the new Google Group email now exists. Examples: Announce the google group on Slack or document it on the Hub.