We have officially consented to establish a general circle as of June 27th, 2021.
Next Steps for General Circle
- Executive directors convene general circle (see Circle Lead description)
- General circle revise sub-aims and domains of department circles (use this checklist)
- Select circle leads to convene department circles
- Circle leads convene department circles
- Department circles revise and consent their own aims and domains
- Department circles select delegates
- General circle consent to delegates, and to revised versions of aims and domains
- Create updated version of circle structure (and make plan on how to update it as time passes and the organization evolves)
- Select operational roles as needed
Next Steps for Internal Comms
Set up General Circle in accordance with updating circle workflows
Our team has really grown! As a result, we now have so much operational work going on that it no longer makes sense for the Mission Circle to have so much of an operational role anymore. How exciting.
This will impact the Mission Circle, the leads and delegates of current sub-circles, will require clear definition of purpose and aims, and discussions within the Mission Circle.
This is an example of how Sociocracy for All has differentiated its Mission Circle from its General Circle
SoFA Mission Circle
- Purpose: To make resources for learning and implementing sociocracy accessible to all.
- Aims: Keeping the organization true to its mission.
SoFA General Circle
- Purpose: To ensure the effective execution of the overall aims for the whole organization
- Coordinating and supporting the operations of department circles in keeping with the organization’s Vision, Mission, and Aims
- Holding department circles accountable for their missions, aims, and domains and supporting them in their work
- Setting (and consenting to) the aims, and domains of the department circles
Continue meeting Sundays at 1:30 PM but switch off General and Mission Circle meetings. Example:
- January General Circle
- February General Circle
- March Mission Circle
- April General Circle
- May General Circle
- June Mission Circle
- July Break
- August General Circle
- September General Circle
- October Mission Circle
- November General Circle
- December General + Mission Circle (maybe this is a good all team space, actually?)
Have an Adult Board Chair and Youth Board Chair, similar to how we have an Adult Executive Director (aka General Circle Lead) and Youth Executive Director.
… Mission Circle leads (Rachel and Michael)
… Governance implementation circle
… Current Mission Circle members
… All circle leads and delegates given that they’ll be the members of the General Circle
Determine who holds what membership within the two circles
Rename #_general-coordination in Slack #_team and clearly define it as space for people to discuss topics with everyone on the team. Meanwhile, we also create a separate #general-circle Slack channel for only members following the General Circle work. The renaming helps differentiate the two.