Create Treasure Maps

In the book Raising More Money: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building Lifelong Donors by Terry Axelrod, they write about creating Treasure Maps as a first step to generating donors.

Treasure maps map groups and organizations that we regularly interact with, the abundant resources they have, and each group’s self-interest. Treasure maps also allow us to create categories of groups that we are not yet connected with but we want to be! We then connect the groups who already talk to each other to see how information flows.

Next, each person creates a personal treasure map to find 10 to 20 individuals they would feel comfortable inviting to learn more about YPC and become a potential financial contributor.

Finally, we do Treasure Map interviews in order to deepen dialog with prior donors and potential donors. These questions are

1. What do you know about our organization?
  2. What images come to mind when you think of us?
  3. How did you come to know about us or become involved with us?
  4. What do you like about being a friend of our organization?
  5. Where or how do you think we are really missing the boat?
  6. What advice do you have for us?
  7. What cues right we have missed from you?
  8. How can we tell our story better?
  9. What could we do to involve more people?

We use these interviews to start relationships + allow people new to supporter cultivation the chance to ease into the work, deepen relationships, learn more about groups, reconnect with people, and thank people.

Because I think in spreadsheets, I created a “YPC Treasure Map (Private)” Google Sheet to our Business folder where I’m starting to fill out my own connections. Check it out!