Create Circle Directory

We’re going to use software to track our circles, members, and partners! This post tracks our progress.

Todos

Finalize Software (with Deborah)
Finalize circle descriptions
Fill out circle role descriptions
Add everyone to Directory
Write policy for how we’ll update the structure

Requirements

• Build in Public (e.g. show who’s involved in what both individually and as partners)

• Maintainable (e.g. when is Peerdom the source of truth and when does it need to be updated instead?)

Documentation we need to write

How do I add new people to the directory?

Setting Someone Up as a Member if we go with Peerdom

• Explain what Peerdom is for

• Show a demonstration

• Say their username is their email address

• Add them as a peer with the correct permission level

• Editor

• Owner

• Ask them to add a profile picture required, pronouns optional, and mission optional

Setting Someone Up as an Editor

• Secretary Role and Lead Role are given editor status

• Link to Peerdom help docs

• Guidelines on how to edit Peerdom circles, roles, peers, etc.

Setting Someone Up as an Owner

• Link to Peerdom help docs

• Link to this doc so they know guidelines for access

How do we edit our Peerdom?
What are our guidelines for access to Peerdom?

When Sharing

Directions for onboarding and offboarding members
Directions for onboarding and offboarding partners
Update directions for creating circles
Search for, update, and archive previous descriptions of roles and responsibilities. Our circle directory needs to be the “source of truth”, not any other documents.
Update Board and Mission Circle Roles and Responsibilities

Embed Link

https://peerdom.org/s/f416ac9881aa085d

I really enjoyed reading this article on Mapping as mapping the creative initiative as opposed to mapping the organization. I’d really like to explore this some more.
https://medium.com/maptio/create-organisational-clarity-using-initiative-mapping-967069247380

One question I have is, how does creative authority in an individual connect with consent? How does creative authority operationalize? Someone who has creative authority isn’t necessarily the person who should be “doing the work”.

Also, there’s this

I’ll just leave you with an encouragement to uncover the individual with natural authority and encourage them to accept their authority and learn to stand well in that role.

As I reflect on this more, I realize that I don’t think we should use a circle directory to track circle members.

• It’s more distributed to have members be tracked on each circle’s meeting notes document because then every circle’s secretary doesn’t also have to learn Peerdom.
  • We’re requiring all organizers to join Discourse and the Discourse user directory is a lot more robust than Peerdom’s would be. Organizers can add bios, get badges, join groups, communicate with one another, etc. It’s great.
  • Role descriptions fall under documentation, so they should be housed on Discourse as well instead of being duplicated on Peerdom.

Instead, we can use the circle directory to display circle aims, domains, and structure instead. This has the added benefit of requiring only one Peerdom user so costs don’t increase with number of members.

I’m now exploring Kumu as our circle directory. I’ve asked Sociocracy for All for their process.

This is Sociocracy for All’s Structure

If we go with Kumu, we would need to include a screenreader accessible version of showing our structure.

See Folder for Kumu Documentation

Next Steps
Customize with Youth Power Coalition structure