Adding youth leaders to board

At #NYCEDU, we commit to youth leadership at all levels of our organization, including the board.

In order to do this, we must understand the legal requirements of having youth directors.

@board-circle Please
(1) Vote for when you’ll be able to be part of a call with the lawyers on youth directors by answering the poll below

Vote for Date and Time for Call with Lawyers

• March 18th at 6pm
  • March 25th at 6pm
  • April 1st at 6pm
  • April 8th at 6pm

0 voters

and (2) Read the documents in our Youth Directors Google Folder. Reply back when you’ve finished reading!

@michael @rachelkate.miller Reminder: Please vote for when you’re available to meet with our lawyers! They want all directors to be present.

Hi There,

I have two grants due on Thursday - so I’m a bit behind on email. But I will catch up after then.

Sorry for the delay!

Thanks,

Rachel

Hey @board-circle - Wednesday evenings are generally tough for me until June. I’ll probably be able to call in and listen. Will do my best to be able to fully participate (ask questions, add comments, etc).

That’s fine, Michael! But are you saying that we can choose any of those Wednesdays for you to call in and listen?

@michael Whoops, nevermind. I see your survey responses now.

Hi Eveyone, I feel like I might know the answer to this question but I also might not and perhaps it got lost I the shuffle of the Build Youth Power convening & the world taking a sharp pivot to a hard pause - but are we still looking to have a call with the lawyers? If yes, is April 8th still an option? Sorry I am so late to the reply here.

Thanks, rkm

Update to close the loop: We’ve now scheduled this for April 15th!

Ideas for youth leader co-governance

• We can create a committee of the corporation that has no limits on number or age of youth leaders in the committee
  • All board members are part of the committee of the corporation
  • To have a quorum of the commitee of the corporation, we also need a quorum of the board present
  • Proposals made by committee of the corporation are sent to the board for potential adoption
  • Proposals are adopted by consent. In case consent cannot be reached:

Facilitator or simple majority can send to mediation and or binding arbitration.

Method 1: Any individual circle member may appeal any decision made by any circle.
The appeal will first be heard by the circle(s) to which the individual belongs. If that circle
agrees with the appeal, they will send elected delegates to the circle that made the
decision. These delegates will meet with the circle that made the decision. The purpose
of this meeting is to understand and explore the reasoning behind the original decision
and behind the appeal. The circle that made the original decision will then confirm,
amend or withdraw the original decision (within one session, or more if extended by
consent).
2. Method 2: Alternatively, four individuals (no two from the same household) can appeal
any decision to the circle that made the decision. Those appealing will select delegates
to meet with the circle that made the decision in order to collectively understand and
explore the reasoning behind the original decision and behind the appeal. The circle that
made the original decision will then confirm, amend or withdraw the original decision
(within one session, or more if extended by consent)…
3. If those appealing are not satisfied with the result of their appeal, they, along with
delegates of the original decision-making circle, can seek assistance from a mediating
body to get resolution (within two sessions, or more if extended by consent)
4. If that is not successful, the issue moves to the next broader circle, but no further than
the General Circle.

Moving this to #done because we’ve come up with a good solution for adding youth leaders to our governance structure. I’ve documented this solution in our post on https://hub.youthpowercoalition.org/t/write-policies-and-procedures-document/402 where we’ll eventually write out all the things about Sociocracy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, welcome again, Farzana, to your official role on the Youth Power Coalition (aka #NYCEDU) Board as Youth Lead!