Add Introduction to Transformative Justice to our Learning Library

Hi,

I’d love our community’s take on this proposed Learning Library post on Transformative Justice!

To me, Transformative Justice is how we’ll live out our value of Own Our Impact. Transformative Justice is about taking accountability, repairing harm, and transforming the underlying systems of racism, sexism, ableism, etc. that cause us to harm one another in the first place.

What do you all think about this draft for the Learning Library? I’ll also note that as we grow, I’d love for us to create content that’s centered in young people teaching transformative justice.

What Is Transformative Justice?

Description: A video by the Barnard Center for Research on Women featuring adrienne maree brown, Mia Mingus, Stas Schmiedt, Ann Russo, Esteban Kelly, Martina Kartman, Priya Rai, and Shira Hassan. Click on this link to go directly to Youtube where you can read the transcript and explore the other videos in the series

Defining Transformative Justice

Transformative Justice (TJ) is a political framework and approach for responding to violence, harm and abuse. At its most basic, it seeks to respond to violence without creating more violence and/or engaging in harm reduction to lessen the violence. TJ can be thought of as a way of “making things right,” getting in “right relation,” or creating justice together. Transformative justice responses and interventions 1) do not rely on the state (e.g. police, prisons, the criminal legal system, I.C.E., foster care system (though some TJ responses do rely on or incorporate social services like counseling); 2) do not reinforce or perpetuate violence such as oppressive norms or vigilantism; and most importantly, 3) actively cultivate the things we know prevent violence such as healing, accountability, resilience, and safety for all involved.
— Mia Mingus in Transformative Justice: A Brief Description

Additional Videos

Intersections of Disability Justice and Transformative Justice

What Does Justice Look Like for Survivors?

How to Support Harm Doers in Being Accountable

Additional Resources

@Sophie.Xu I think you’ll like this!